Monday, August 12, 2013

Corner Gas

 
Corner Gas ran on CTV between 2004-2009 but still remains one of my favorite shows.  The show was filmed entirely in Saskatchewan with the interior scenes shot in Regina and all the outdoor shots filmed on location in Rouleau, Sask.  As luck would have it, Rouleau was a short ride up Hwy 39 from Weyburn.  The gas station and the "Ruby" was just a set and after the filming had stopped, quickly fell into disrepair.  It was bought privately and somewhat restored.  The gas station is now a souvenir shop but the interior of the Ruby seems to be a work in progress.  It never was a functioning restaurant so to feed the tourists, a food truck now sits out front.  I knew all that ahead of time but I was still very excited to see it. 
Waiting for service (the pumps don't really work)

The grain elevator was re-painted to Dog River and the Hotel hasn't changed but other than that, the Rouleau is back to normal.  I'm not sure if the Hotel is either a hotel or bar today.

Exterior shots of the DRPD
Original DRPD police cruiser.
Only one criticism about my visit.  I realize that working in the gift shop is just a part time, possible a summer job, but get someone in there with a little personality! 
 
After that, I set out to Cypress Hills Provincial Park, Alberta side.  Unfortunately, Rouleau is situated fairly close to the Trans Canada Highway (TCH) so I couldn't really avoid it.  The day was cool and clear and surprisingly calm, a great day to cruise.  I stopped for quick lunch in Swift Current and hit the road again. 
 
Health wise, I had been feeling pretty good but was starting to feel a bit beat up and the constant "bee sting" in my neck and shoulder area was taking its toll.  I made it to the turn-off the Cypress Hills fairly early in the afternoon (cruising at an ave. of 120 kph) so I had a decision to make.  Spend an extra day there, or start hammering it back home.  If I get to at least Calgary, I would get home the next day.  I kept hammering.
I was getting tired so I needed a few extra breaks, one of which was Medicine Hat, home of the worlds largest tee-pee.
Tee-Pee in Medicine Hat
I thought about hoteling it in Calgary so I stayed on the TCH through town.  Big mistake.  The traffic was insane later to find out there was a Stampeder's football game happening that night and I had to ride right by the stadium. I checked out one hotel that I've stayed at before for Ringette tournaments but they wanted $168.  Screw that!  Away I went.  The next trick was finding a camping spot before I got to Banff. (didn't want to pay the park fees)  Based on the volume of traffic and the speed of people pulling all sorts of campers, I was starting to get worried that I won't find a campground.  I did, at Bow Valley Provincial Park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment