Wednesday, August 07, 2013

The Long Haul Across Ontario, continues.



Ontario is a very wide province.  Very wide.  The weather certainly has been a challenge.  I set out from Wawa on Tuesday morning in very damp conditions so I put on all my rain gear and prepared for the worst.  To my surprise, the morning part of the ride wasn't half bad, until I got close to Lake Superior.  Then the fog rolled in.  I thought Halifax was bad, this was worse.  I knew I was getting close to the lakeside town of Marathon where I'd planned to wait until the fog lifted.  The only problem was, I missed the whole town.  I literally didn't see it and when I'd realized I missed the town I decided to keep going.  The fog cleared somewhat, just long enough to stop to take this picture.

Aguasabon River Gorge

Just past Nipigon the skies got very dark then opened up, a lot.  It poured all the way to Thunder Bay.  I made it into Thunder Bay around 4:30 and headed straight to a Honda dealer to do a quick oil change.  Then, still pissing out, I headed to yet another motel for a pizza and beer night. 
 
The morning brought clear skies but chilly temperatures.  Yesterday coming into Thunder Bay, I had stopped at the Terry Fox Monument but it was raining so hard I couldn't take a picture.  So, in the morning, I doubled back (about 10 k) to visit the memorial again.  The whole park is very impressive with an equally impressive tribute to Terry Fox.

Lou Grandell had suggested that I check out Kakabeka Falls, just west of Thunder Bay.  Great suggestion! 
Kakabeka Falls
I tossed a coin and decided to take Highway 11 through Atikokan to Fort Frances.  Very quiet highway but not a lot to look at apart from trees and more trees. 
There, I would have to make another route decision; skootch through the northern part of Minnesota to Manitoba or head up to Kenora along side of Lake of the Woods.  I choose Kenora.  My plan was to camp at Rushing River Provincial Park but.......it started raining out, again!  I'm now camping at the Super 8 in Kenora.  I'm going to have to do a lot of camping from here on.  Tomorrow, Manitoba! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment