Saturday, August 03, 2013

Quebec City

It's been a struggle at times to keep up this blog.  I have to rely on internet connections which are sometimes questionable.  It also doesn't help when I lose the charger somewhere between Montreal and Quebec City.  I thought I'd had left it in the hotel in Montreal but when we returned there today, they didn't have it.  A trip to Future Shop and $45 later I'm back in business, sort of.  I'm now dealing with the slowest connection so far. 

We booked our hotel in Quebec City (QC) through Hotwire.com. When you book through them, the actual hotel isn't revealed to you until you pay.  The location was close to lots of restaurants and other amenities but it was a serious hike up to Old Quebec.  Since I'm travelling with limited space, I did not bring really good walking shoes.  As a result, I got a serious blister on the bottom of my foot so hoofing it back and forth was a challenge.   Enough wining. 

As you would expect, QC was full of history.  The old buildings were amazing with streets full of charm.  Being close to the August long weekend, the streets were packed.  We took one tour, a walking tour through the Citadelle.  The first walls were constructed by the French in the 17th century and later completed by the British in 1831 as a strategic fort against the Americans.  By the time it was finished, a peace treaty was signed and was never used as its intended purpose.  Today it serves as the home for the Royal 22 Regiment and an official residence of the Governor General.  (two weeks out of the year)
Guard outside the Citadelle.  2 hour shifts.


The rest of the time was spent walking, eating and drinking. 

Unfortunately, the wifi at this hotel won't let me download any more pictures.  Hopefully, I'll find a better connection today so I can post the many photos we took. 

Today, Tina heads back home and I continue on with my motorcycle journey.  But first, I have to return the rental car and based on the trouble I had finding the Avis yard the first time, it's stressing me out! 

The stairs from our hotel area to Old Quebec




A stolen gun from the Germans.  If it's painted grey then it's stolen.


Governor General's Residence

I Remember


Interesting sculpture






Stainless Steel Maserati

No comments:

Post a Comment