Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Cabot Trail

The continuous rain and the wind in Newfoundland forced me to decide to head south and catch the ferry back to Nova Scotia.   I booked the 1 am crossing so I had all day and evening to ride from St. Anthony to Port aux Basque.  The morning run was very very challenging.  A relentless cross wind blowing off the Gulf, driving rain and the worry that I'll run out of gas, made the morning ride not too enjoyable.  With my gas tank on reserve I finally came across a gas station that wasn't closed for Church.  The rain finally let up around noon but the wind kept blowing all the way to the ferry terminal.  I wasn't about to ride in the evening (moose!) so I made it to the ferry around 8 for a 1 am departure.  By the time  I finally got settled in to my chair, I was dead tired.
 
Despite sitting up all night, I had a pretty good sleep.  The morning saw sunny skies and little to no wind.  Perfect weather to enjoy the Cabot Trail. 
 

 

 

The west side of the Cabot Trail
I called a co-worker, Bras Ross, who happened to be home at the time, so we arranged to meet and I followed him to his place in Margaree Valley.  He has 270 acres of beautiful hay fields and rolling hills. (He called them mountains)  We had a great dinner with a few too many beers and some great conversation. 


 
Todays plan is to ride down the north (south?) coast of Nova Scotia along the Bay of Fundy then catch a ferry from Digby, NS to St. John, NB.

No comments:

Post a Comment