Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Fiddlehead Route


Today's plan was to get close to the Quebec/New Brunswick border.  According to my weather app, it's is supposed to be rain-free all day.  That's a whole lot better than I was expecting. 

In order to get from A to B as quick as possible, you would stay on the Trans Canada Highway (TCH).  This is true but it's also the most boring way.  Other than the odd Irving gas station, there isn't much to see.  That's why shortly after I hit the highway, I was looking for alternate routes.  According to my tank bag map, I did notice that there are a number of different roads that parallel the TCH all the way to Edmundston.  The first one I went on, I started to notice an odd sign that was posted at every intersection.  First thing that came to mind was a snail.  I'm thinkin' that this road must be the old highway before they built the expressway. Sooo, if the TCH is the fast way, this must be the slow way; a sort of "snail trail".  I went with that for a while. 

The big advantage to staying off the super slabs, is that you see stuff.  I spotted an exciting sign; Worlds Largest Axe.  I gotta see that.  Only a quick 10 minute detour brought me to Nackawic.




I continued along the "snail trail" until Woodstock. (not THAT Woodstock)  Very pretty town with some wonderful homes.  I stopped into the Info Center to try and solve the "sign" mystery.  The helpful lady told me its a fiddlehead.  I told her that I didn't realize this area was so much into fiddling.  "No, fiddleheads, the fern you eat".  According to Wikipedia, Fiddlehead greens are the furled fronds of a young fern, harvested for use as a vegetable.
Furled Fronds of a Young Fern
After mentioning to her how excited I was about seeing the axe, she told me I was in for a real treat.  Just down the road was another gem; The World's Longest Covered Bridge. I couldn't believe my luck.  Two in one day!

 
I stayed with the Fiddlehead Route all the way to Edmundston and found a campsite just north of the town.  Even being so close to the Quebec border, I was surprised that all the signs are in French only.  I tracked down the Parc Panoramic.  I was a bit put off seeing that all the trailers were squished in like sardines, however, I decided on a site next to the duck pond. 
Just finished a REALLY good hamburger. 
Tomorrow, La Belle Province.
 

4 comments:

  1. Hope you slept well and stayed dry. No rain here. Its 36 degrees and dry in Christina lake going for amother two wheel ride sans motor tomorrow up Christina lake. Rode the transCanadatrail today. Drove the dewdney trail two days ago with our 25 ' trailer .... Speaking of history. Enjoy !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great adventure. Great quality pics. They take me back to our family holiday in the Maritimes. I imagine you'll enjoy a traveling companion thru Quebec. Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I could not figure out what in the world that swirly sign meant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, there's a pic of your tent. Nice little one. Those ones are easy to set up.

    ReplyDelete