Friday, July 19, 2013

Searching for Vikings


After yesterday's washout, today was what riding is all about.  Clear skies, little wind, no traffic and temperatures around 17.  I'm heading to L'Anse Meadows at the north tip of the Northern Peninsula.  I knew I wasn't going to make it there in one day so I just kept riding until I got tired and ended up in the lovely coastal village of Port au Choix.  On the way up I went through Gros Morne National Park where one of the lakes reminded me of Shuswap Lake.  I did plan to take lots of pictures but  smoke had blown in from a fire in Labrador so hopefully, on the way back, the sky will be clear. 

I stayed last night in Gander.  This city of 10,000 played an important role in 9 11 terrorist attacks.  6,500 people on route mainly to the States, were diverted there.  The citizen of Gander opened their hearts and wallets to accommodate the "plane people" for as long as 4 days.  Gander, back in the 50's and 60's was a busy hub refueling cross-Atlantic jet liners.  As planes became more fuel efficient with longer cruising ranges, the need for a stop-over became unnecessary.  Ganders airport does have two very long runways that could handle any plane so this made a perfect place to ground all air traffic.  I read some of the stories from both passengers and townsfolk.  It's very moving.  I also read that NYC had given Gander some steel from the fallen WTC tower as an appreciative gesture.  I set out this morning to find this.  One would think it would be displayed at the Gander airport but noooo. It's at the museum which didn't open for an hour.  I gave up and rode on.

After a quick re-fuel in Deer Lake, it was on to Gros Morne. 
Rocky Harbour

Love the colour
 
Lunch; coffee and a muffin

 

After lunch, I started up Hwy 430 with no destination in mind.  This highway skirts along the shoreline to The Gulf of St.
Lawrence.  At times the riding was challenging due to the stiff wind blowing off the Gulf.  My goal is to camp as much as possible but unfortunately, rain i forcasted for all night and into the next day.  So, I bit the bullit once again and looked for a motel.  Pretty slim pickin's up this way but I saw a roadside sign advertising the Sea Echo Motel in Port au Choix.
 




 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. So what are the chances Tina will let you change the color of your house ..... I like the apricot color !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colour too. Love the boat pic.

    ReplyDelete